Saturday, April 11, 2015

Review: The Unleasing by Shelly Laurenston

The Unleashing (Call of Crows, #1)The Unleashing by Shelly Laurenston

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


4 1/2 stars




WINGING IT

Kera Watson never expected to face death behind a Los Angeles coffee shop. Not after surviving two tours lugging an M16 around the Middle East. If it wasn’t for her hot Viking customer showing up too late to help, nobody would even see her die.

In uncountable years of service to the Allfather Odin, Ludvig “Vig” Rundstrom has never seen anyone kick ass with quite as much style as Kera. He knows one way to save her life—but she might not like it. Signing up with the Crows will get Kera a new set of battle buddies: cackling, gossiping, squabbling, party-hearty women. With wings. So not the Marines.

But Vig can’t give up on someone as special as Kera. With a storm of oh-crap magic speeding straight for L.A., survival will depend on combining their strengths: Kera’s discipline, Vig’s loyalty… and the Crows’ sheer love of battle. Boy, are they in trouble.


First things first let me just say that I am so freaking glad the Crows and Ravens are back!!!. I first read Hunting Season which was the very first Crow book and I fell in love with it. Periodically I would request more crows but the author was busy with other projects so I had to wait. And I loathe waiting with a passion of a thousand suns so when this book was announced I was happy dancing in my chair.
I was not disappointed. I first received this book from Netgalley to review and I read it but I needed my own proofed and edited version so I bought that and reread it. Let me start off by saying that Crows are the executioners of the Norse gods and the ravens are the search, rescue and destroy if needed team. This story is mainly about Kayla and Vig. I love Kayla. She is a Crow but she has to be shown that these folks needed killing and I agree with that but after she is on board she is amazing. And Vig is a contradiction in every way. He’s a shy, protective, loving, stalkerish in a good way, and a stone cold killer. See definitely a contradiction. I love that he that even though he couldn’t save Kayla he got her another life with the crows. Also all the old and new crows and ravens are freaking hilarious. I was snorting and smiling through the entire book.
This book leaves some questions and issues unresolved but it wasn’t a cliff hanger so I was pleased. And I hope that we don’t have to wait as long for the next book in this series. Because yes there will have be at least another book hopefully more. My only little problem I had with this book was that there were so many folks and the Author switched too much from first to last names and vice versa. But in the final version there seemed to be less of this than in the ARC. All in all I give this book 4 1/2 stars because any book that has me laughing out loud and smiling is stand out book IMO.





View all my reviews

No comments: